Sunday, July 11, 2010

The end of (yet another) transit-related love affair

As you likely recall, I was excited about the work of the Moustache Artist since I started seeing his modifications on posters at Vernon-Jackson in Queens. But then, when I saw he addressed me in some of his posters, I was simply smitten!


Since that post, I noticed two additional "moustache" works on the Manhattan bound Vernon-Jackson platform; but am not sure how long they've been there since I don't often make it down this far on the platform before the subway arrives -



However, it's been weeks since my "Bitch Cakes" poster and he has not made any contact since then.

To pacify myself, I theorized that the above posters must have been modified around the time he established contact with me via his posters and I just hadn't noticed.

But if that were true, then how would I explain this??? 

Remember this poster? The one where he wrote "Moustache Man <3 Bitchcakes"?


Well not only has he not responded to my "*Bitchcakes <3s you too!" but when a new poster appeared adjacent to it, he drew a *new* moustache on it - while completely ignoring my poster!


So that means he was there - in that location. He must have seen what I wrote, but completely ignored me.

I'll be honest, it hurt. :(

But the more I think about it, I think it's for the best that he ignore me and not make any contact. I have a feeling if I met the Moustache Artist it would - at best - take the mystery away and at worst, what if I were disappointed? I think some things are better off remaining a mystery.

Besides, at this point, I have a feeling he might abandon his moustache premise because a friend of mine told me she saw a bad copycat "goatee" in another station and then I saw this (see below) in Vernon-Jackson. While mildly amusing, it's obviously not his work, but someone trying to make it look like it is:



Anyway, whatever you decide to do, Moustache Man, I wish you the best. It was fun while it lasted and I was thrilled to be a part of your art. In the immortal words of Tim Gunn, our savior, "Carry on!"

4 comments:

Laramie Glen said...

I don't think the real moustache man even wrote the first "moustache man loves bitchcakes" -- look at the first "m"

in all the actual ones, it is a full cursive "m" and in the the hearts bitchcakes one it is a cursive "n"

looks like a bitchcakes fan is your moustache man imposter! he didn't abandon you -- he probably doesn't know about the posts at all!

Laramie Glen said...

AND the real moustache man makes his first curly-cue going into the word "moustache" upwards, whereas the imposter who loves bitchcakes made their first curly-cue downwards!

/detective work

*Bitch Cakes* said...

Holy moly - you're right! I am sure the real moustache man did the "bitchcakes" moustache in the "Warehouse 13" poster but you're right! I hadn't looked at the "MM <3 BC" poster next to another "moustache" example. That's not the same handwriting! Who would play with me like that? Hmmmmmmmmm.....

nycgirl0501 said...

I don't think you've seen the last of him. He's too creative to just leave it like that...maybe the heat got to him...no time to write :)