Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Moustache Artist strikes again, leaving another present for me!

As I blogged last night, I didn't even notice that the newest 'moustache' at Vernon-Jackson was addressed to yours truly until I got home and uploaded the photo. And as I mentioned in that post, I wanted to get a photo of me *with* the poster this morning. Alas, that was not meant to be. So I just took a quick close up of it before getting on the train-

Close up of the poster I blogged about last night


While at work, I found out about a sale not to be missed at Banana Republic (trust me, this is integral to the story, just keep reading), but the thing was I had to go there tonight in order to take advantage of it. While the one outside of Grand Central is the most convenient, they don't carry petites. So that meant I had to go to my favorite one - the one in Rockefeller Center - after work tonight.

I accomplished my mission while I was there. I bought (are you ready for this? I hope none of my WW blog readers are over here because it will spoil the surprise) pants. Yes, PANTS. As in those things you step into one at a time that cover each leg from waist to ankle. (I.E. Not a skirt or dress, which have dominated my wardrobe since I was 14.) Actual freaking PANTS! Don't believe me? Well, look at this!

Wow. Pants.
I'm the proud recipient of these pants.

After some deliberating, I bought them.

I ended up buying the three pairs shown above. And I swear there is a point to all of this besides me once again gratuitously showing off how good I look. Ahem...

I left Banana and headed to the subway to get home. From the Rockefeller stop, I would normally have taken the V/M uptown and over to Court Square, Queens and switched to the G. However, I wanted to get a photo with my subway poster since I didn't have time this morning. Therefore, I made a point to take the V/M back downtown one stop to Grand Central, taking the 7 Train to Vernon Jackson - just so I could get those photos. (see, I told you there was a point to the Banana story! I was so determined to get those photos I changed my route home! Just for my blog and you, Moustache Artist!)

I exited at Vernon Jackson and as I walked up the platform, of course I checked for any new posters/new moustaches. I saw the same ones I had photographed last week: 'Drop Dead Diva' girl, 'Get Him to the Greek' guy, and this actual mustached man -

real stache

But something had changed since I last photographed that poster. And I don't know if this was here yesterday and I didn't see it, or if this appeared today. But tonight, I noticed it immediately! 

This is one of the most romantic things anyone has ever done for me

OMFG. For realz. He was so excited, he forgot to cross the "T" in moustache! (Inexplicably, he also gave the man in the poster eyeliner, which is fine - just an observation.)

Armed with a red pen I brought home from work specifically for this purpose, I wrote him back a note:

I <3 you too, Moustache Man!

and asked a random passer by to get a photo of me:

Moustache Man left me another present!!

Look at that ridiculous smile on my face. I was so excited! Super surprised and elated!

From there I exited, crossed the street, went down the stairs and swiped my MetroCard to complete my original quest: getting a photo of me with the poster on the Manhattan side:

Look! It's me and my moustached subway poster!

Crazy angles = good times

Now, I swear, I have NO IDEA who this artist is and (since some of you asked) it's not me! I'm not nearly that clever OR self absorbed, thank you very much (close, but not quite). So I have no idea who has been doing this. I am more inclined to think they are male now, since they wrote "Moustache Man" but that could have been specific to throw me off. Anything is possible. I'm guessing it someone that lives in LIC near that stop, but maybe they just go through there every day like I do. I don't know! The only thing I do know is this person has a beautiful penmanship and excellent sense of symmetry. Not to mention, their curly-ques are outstanding!

I must admit, I am really looking forward to whatever happens next. Maybe there will be something new waiting for me tomorrow. Maybe I will see the artist in action at some point. Maybe it's someone I know. Or maybe I will never see another 'moustache' and it will remain an unsolved mystery until the day I die. One thing is for certain: I love New York City and this is just one tiny example of how magical and awesome something as mundane as commuting can be.

Thank you again, Moustache Man. You made me giddy! :D

xoxo
*Bitch Cakes*

29 comments:

Kimberley said...

Love this!

TJ said...

So cool! Can't wait to hear what happens next!

*Bitch Cakes* said...

You and me both, TJ ;)

(hope you ladies didn't look at the pants pictures! I'm including them next week in my WW blog!)

Diana said...

Not very many of us lady folk get to have a secret admirer!
Lucky you!

The Lady in Red said...

1. HOLYSHITYOUTPUTONANDACTUALLYBOUGHTPANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. You're adorable!

3. This is beyond awesome! I'm so excited for whatever is next!

More exclamation points!!!!!!

<3

Ann said...

oh, you give me hope that there is some good out there for my commute. :) Go you, so jealous.

*Bitch Cakes* said...

Lore: I am so glad you understand how monumental the pants are. Thank you. And I, for one, use exclamation points very liberally. I love them!!!!!

H-woman said...

The pants look freaking AMAZING on you! So glad that you've introduced them into your wardrobe!

Moustache Man is intriguing...I can't wait to hear what happens next!

=)

Lawgirl said...

You look so amazing in those pants!! What motivated you to buy them?

Awww, I love this developing story with the Moustache Artist!!

http://prettyinorange.com

cjbrown said...

This story just keeps getting better and better!

I can just see a segment about the mysterious "Moustache Man" who loves "Bitchcakes" on the Today Show! Then a book and of course a movie to follow! This is too interesting!

carly said...

HOT pants!

Rutila said...

Positively speechless. So glad you found clothes at BR *and* have a mysterious admirer. Hope you get to meet him -- the admiration's mutual.

Alison Wood said...

I love this, it is like something out of a really cool novel

Melty said...

Those pants are VERY flattering on you. I was actually slightly disappointed that you were going to start wearing pants since I thought you already dressed your best. BUT! You did it again! You managed to outdo yourself. They look amazing.

I think Moustache Man is a woman. I think she wrote man only because that is how you refer to her.

Melty said...

ok. I take that back. You said Artist. I don't know why I thought were saying man.

Florrie said...

This is my favourite blog post EVER.
Firstly: YAY TROUSERS!(or pants...as you crazy americans call them :p)!!!!!!!!!! They look gorgeous!

and secondly:This is SO the start of some kind of indie romcom film. Its like You've got mail but with mysterious quirky graffiti!

I really really want to know what happens next....

GoVintage said...

You have got to love his style!

Your style too. Those pants look amazing on you!!

nycgirl0501 said...

You are unforgetable!

One only has to read one of your posts to be a fan!

He's very charming & creative in his style!

You look fantastic in those pants :)

Fit By 2009 said...

This totally reminds me of the photobooth mystery man in Amelie! :D

Heather said...

This is so fun! I can't wait to see what happens next!

Gift of Green said...

Okay, clearly I have been absent from visiting your blog(s) for far too long! You've got a lot of awesomeness going on!!!! Super FUN!

Alexia said...

but sheryl! pants are made for you!
i haven't seen anyone look so good in pants for a long long time.

Alexia said...

the amazing things are always happening to you!

*Bitch Cakes* said...

My life really is spectacular and magical, I totally admit. Sometimes I am sure I must be in a movie! Alexia: I have (mental/traumatic memory) issues with pants. I am actually going to cover it more indepth in my WW blog but thank you for the kind words! :)

JillKG said...

The moustache artist must be on the move- I saw a couple adorned posters in the Times Square station this morning, in the hallway that connects the QNRW platform to the 7 and then the 2/3 train. (Sorry that's a horrible description but that place is a maze.) If I had a camera with me I would have taken a photo for you!

*Bitch Cakes* said...

JillKG: I was wondering what happened to him! I haven't seen anything in LIC and I miss him :( Thank you for telling me. I hope he leaves me another present!

WonderWoman said...

Girl, you rock a pair of Banana pants like nobodies business.

I love the way you dress normally, but wowza, your ass in those pants!

Love the MM! I think it is amazing how people can do the simplest things but bring others such joy. I don't think we smile enough - at ourselves and at each other. Rock on MM for making people smile a little more.

Debby said...

This is exactly the kind of stuff I want to see when I come to NYC in September! I hope you'll give me other tips of 'must see' things.

I read the pants post on the WW blog before I read this one...whew, didn't spoil the surprise!

rishana said...

I saw a moustache at the southbound 23rd St. C/E station, but didn't have the time to take a picture for you.