Wednesday, June 9, 2010

An Open Letter to the Moustache Artist of Vernon-Jackson

Dear Moustache* Artist,

From the first morning I encountered one of your pieces of modified subway art on the Manhattan bound Vernon-Jackson platform of the 7 Train, I was smitten. It was such a simple modification to a poster, but so fun and clever. I loved it so much, I had to take a photo of it:

Mustache

Just a few days later, I was thrilled to find more!

the mustache artist strikes again! 

(Ironically, those Italian women likely spend a good deal of time ridding themselves of unwanted facial hair... not that I would... *cough* know what that's like *cough*...)

Heck, even Jennifer Lopez wasn't safe!

Even Jennifer Lopez isn't safe!

Since then I have seen quite a few more of your works, all at Vernon-Jackson, and on both sides of the platform. Here are some I captured one night coming home, on the Queens bound side:



I noticed the other 2 members of that poster were already 'stached, so your pen did not meet their upper lips:


And I am guessing that is the same reason you left this poster alone:


Although this has not been going on very long, I must admit that I get excited when new posters go up, because I keep hoping to see new 'moustaches'. And this week, you did not disappoint me, even moustaching a little kid!


and a dorky college student:


Finally, I know this is going to sound weird, but I dreamt about you. That's right, you left such an impression on me that you invaded my subconscious. In my dream, I met you. And sure enough, you had the beautiful scripted "moustache" written across your upper lip (that's how I knew it was you). Aside from that, you looked like my favorite employee at B's Bikes, Andre, but in my dream it was you: The Moustache Artist.

Now, you may or may not be Andre, or look like Andre or even be male for that matter (I am making quite a sexist assumption here, I realize), but I think whomever you are and whatever you look like, you're pretty fantastic regardless. Thank you for brightening my commute and giving me something to look forward to each morning and night.

Keep up the great work! I'll be on the lookout for more moustaches. And perhaps yourself.

Sincerely,
*Bitch Cakes*


*I spelled "Moustache" that way for you, since that is your preferred spelling. I usually keep with the traditional "mustache" myself...

3 comments:

About the girl: said...

OMG!! These are awesome. When I lived in Chicago, I wish I would have done something as creative as this. :)

Merseytart said...

Moustache is the British spelling: there's a random Englander on the loose! I love the little curls either side of the word. So much more interesting that the crudely drawn penises you usually get!

Melis.sa said...

This post was fucking fantastic! I love it!