Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Dream Come True: My Day as Miss Grand Central

Last year, when it was announced that there would be a competition for Miss G Train, several people encouraged me to enter. I wrote about why I did not want to do that, and in that post I also mentioned a different dream I had. A much bigger dream...

You likely know I commute through Grand Central Terminal daily to get to and from work. I've been doing this for over two and a half years now. And I do not take a single day of that portion of my commute for granted -

After getting off the 7 Train each morning, I walk up 3 flights of escalator stairs to reach the main floor of the terminal. And when I arrive upstairs, I walk quickly as I check the current time and which track my train will depart from that morning. But then there is that moment I look forward to every single day - the magical moment that I turn the corner to enter the main hall - where I first get a glimpse of that magnificent building - to see the high ceiling with the painted constellation, the giant chandeliers, the round center island information booth with its famous clock as well as the hustle and bustle of NYers walking in every possible direction but not colliding. And as I quickly walk through, I take a few seconds to notice the way the sunlight is streaming through the huge windows on that particular morning. It's nothing short of breathtaking to me. Still. I absolutely love that terminal and consider myself very fortunate that I get to enjoy seeing it every day.

It's because of my deep affection for that building that I had a much greater desire than the "Miss G Train" title. In that blog post, I wrote:
Of course the title of "Miss Grand Central" also does not exist, but if the City Reliquary could create "Miss G Train", I see no reason why I can't create a title for the grandest of all train terminals in the greatest city in the world.

But I still don't want to be judged, so the way I envision it is either: 1) I convince someone there to create the title just for me, or 2) I just tell people I'm Miss Grand Central. I can buy a sash with the title and wear it through the terminal. I'll have someone follow me around and take photos while I carry a bouquet of roses and wave like the queen. Why not? What's stopping me?
Now, I'm not sure why there has never been a "Miss Grand Central" but I figured if they had a "Miss Subways" competition for 35 years, why shouldn't there be a Miss Grand Central? And as I wrote in that blog post, what was to stop me from just saying I *am* Miss Grand Central?

So yesterday was the big day. I finally found a suitable dress on Friday night and spent all morning curling and recurling my hair. I grabbed my sash, gloves and tiara and hopped the B62 to the 7 Train, as I do every morning - but this time I wasn't going to work...

Since I am a creature of habit/repetition (*cough* OCD *cough*), I took a photo of myself in the bathroom as I do every weekday morning:

Saturday Afternoon in Grand Central

Then, much like Superman, I made a quick change. And with that, I was no longer ordinary "Citizen Bitch Cakes" -  I put on my tiara, sash and gloves and emerged from that ladies room as MISS GRAND CENTRAL. Here are some of my favorite pictures from the day, in no particular order (I was all over the place!):


DSC01155

I don't think I've ever looked this good!

DSC01130



Some cheesecake with your cheesecake?

The funniest part was that as I walked around to pose for my photos, I overheard so many people say things like "Miss Grand Central? I didn't even know they had that!" or "Look! There's Miss Grand Central!". People waved to me, said hello to me, congratulated me, photographed me and two tourists (one from England and one from France) even asked to have their photos taken with me! As far as those people knew, I really WAS Miss Grand Central!

I cannot tell you how great this day was. I don't think I've ever felt more beautiful than I did yesterday and I can't remember the last time I felt such pure, simple joy and happiness. It's a day I will never forget, and one that I will cherish forever.

I loved being Miss Grand Central, even if my reign was for just a day. The photos and memories will last a lifetime.


(the entire photo set can be seen here)

37 comments:

spunkysuzi said...

You look absolutely stunning and yes they should make a title just for you!
I don't know who took your photos but they did an incredibly good job :)
You totally rock!

Sarah Sutter said...

That dress is amazing! You look gorgeous. By they way, is that guy taking a photo of your legs in your one picture? You should wear that dress everyday!

Spiro said...

OMG!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!

*Bitch Cakes* said...

Suzi: Thank you! I agree, they should. Maybe they will now :)

Sarah: Yes, he was. That guy (and many other people) took photos of me. I wish I could wear it everyday. I felt like a million bucks! (and it was only 70 dollars @ Loehmann's) Fits like a dream!

Spiro: Thanks!!

pinkymcpie said...

if anyone deserved such a title it is most certainly you :-) it's a no-brainer really!!

you look gorgeous, just stunning really!

Kathy W said...

You are hilarious... It looks like you had so much fun. Congratulations!

Lawgirl said...

Gorgeous dress!! You look amazing.

http://theworldaccordingtolawgirl.wordpress.com

John said...

LOL!!! This is great! I thought it was great when I saw the photos on flickr and before I read your story, but this is really cool! Looks like tons of fun. What a dream!

John4kc

JillKG said...

You are a rock star! I think it's so amazing that you thought this up and had the self-confidence to go through with it. You're an inspiration to me.

Pope said...

The station was never more amazing...you did it proud! Of course you look amazing and happy. I love your self confidence!

Merseytart said...

Congratulations Miss GCT! I hope you will be using your position to promote world peace.

GoVintage said...

You are exactly what Miss Grand Central should be! Great idea!

Judy said...

You are such a nut—LOVE this and you look amazing, as usual.

Suburban Guy said...

You are a pisser!!

You just made my morning. :)

Keely Law said...

Your legs are killer! You didn't even wear pantyhose - way to go. Honestly, you look truly radiantly happy. I am so glad you did that. It was a big confidence booster, wasn't it? To see yourself as the gorgeous, witty, super cool girl that we all know & love.

carissajaded said...

hahaha I love this so much! I came over here via The Frisky, and you my friend, are an inspiration. Now I want to go become the Miss of something. Probably the local bar! But you've made a fan outta me!

sunshine! said...

What a hoot you are! OMG......I haven't been to Grand Central since I was on a high school trip back in 1977 (does that make me old?).....looks just the same as it does in my mind's eye!

That was awesome! You looked amazing! ....and someone was photographing your legs! YOUR LEGS! OMG....

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

So funny and fun! Way to go!

Alison M. said...

You are breathtaking! I wish I had your gorgeous self-confidence! How amazing to do this... I'll bet you spread as much joy around you as you felt. Wonderful pictures and post!

Dianne said...

Cheryl - I've been reading your blogs for a couple of years and this post has to be the alltime greatest ever. You look absolutely fantastic in every photo, it was an inspired idea.

Surely you stopped traffic all over your beloved GCT. All the food shops should've begged you to pose so they could post your photo - "Miss Grand Central eats here!"

stackofpennies said...

Dear Self Apointed Miss Grand Central,

I have never been to NY or understood the grandure that is Grand Central Station until today. You're pictures say it all. You look stunning and so happy.

Thanks for posting.

*Bitch Cakes* said...

Thank you all for the nice comments and for reading/checking out the pics from this fantastic day.

For the record, if anyone ever visits NYC, I always encourage them to visit Grand Central Terminal. It's free, it's beautiful, and it's a must-see when you are here!

Kat said...

Sheryl,
You look fantastic!! I loved the pictures. Thank you so much for sharing them.

bushwickite said...

Incredibly beautiful pictures.
You are definitely Miss Grand
Central.

Lisa said...

I just love this idea. You are so beautiful and stunning, they should be so lucky to have a Miss Grand Central as wonderful as you.

You inspire me too. You thought why can't I do this and so you did. That is the kind of thinking that I need to adopt in my life. I want to live life to its fullest and have grand adventures too.

Thank you for having the courage and moxy to take this on. You truly do rock!

Kat said...

You are truly an original. Grand Central never looked better either. How did you create/find the banner?

nycgirl0501 said...

A true Miss Grand Central! Now one can do it better than you xoxo

Kimberley said...

Absolutely fabulous!

fitlivingdaily said...

You are an amazing woman. I love how you see something you want and you create it, do it or become it. Your dress is breathtaking and the station is truly grand. (You should totally find a way to wear a tiara more often-maybe next year's bike race?)

SoccerMom said...

You are so beautiful. Love the photos.

PS Love the tats!

Gift of Green said...

This just absolutely confirms it: you are a fabulous person!!!!!!!!

忠元 said...

唯有穿鞋的人,才知道鞋的哪一處擠腳...............................................................

Ann said...

You looked stunning.

Jessica said...

I keep reading and re-reading this post. I love your confidence and your dedication...you make me smile :)

*Bitch Cakes* said...

Thanks Jessica, that's so sweet. And thanks to everyone for such nice comments. I really didn't realize how well received this would be. It was truly one of the best days of my life. I posted a short follow up today - http://bitchcakescommutes.blogspot.com/2010/05/follow-up-to-my-miss-grand-central-post.html

aschul11 said...

that could probably be one of the most hilarious things you have done to date... you are so silly and I absolutely love reading your blogs! <3 Muah

Yvette said...

Oh wow, I remember reading your blog about 5 years ago. I think it was you! I remember your eyebrows and the fact that you said you love Jacob Vargas. Right??
You were plumper then but still beautiful.
You look fantastic now, so happy and healthy.
I just spent about 3 hours reading all your blogs.
I do think you are what I imagine the quintessential New Yorker would be. Heh heh, I would love it if you had your blog on audio, like books on tape. Do you have a New Yawker voice? That would be awesome!
I have only been to NY once and was quite pleased by all of the Puerto Rican guys blessing me when I went by.
Good to see you, you look great!